Thursday, December 30, 2010

St. Distaff's Day

Did you know there is a whole day devoted to spinning?

St. Distaff's Day is on January 7.  Lucky for me, I've got my wheel put back together and it is in proper working order.

H is thoroughly unimpressed with the design of the Ashford Traditional.  As much as I love it, he hates it.  Only he hates it from an engineer's perspective.  He doesn't like the screws that are used or the way the hub pin fits in  And I won't even get started on his reaction when we'd put it all back together only to realize that the polyurethane drive band (a single unbroken loop) had gotten twisted around the legs.  He thought we were going to have to take it off.  His eyes went sort of buggy when I just snipped it (I'd left it loose on purpose and just raised the mother-of-all, in case I ever needed to do what I'd just done).  I'll fix my polyurethane drive band later.  For now, I've got the cotton band tied on.  It's working fine.  I'm happy.

It's a shame H doesn't do more woodworking.  I'd love to see what sort of spinning wheel he could comeup with.  I bet he could make something really fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment