Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Epic Project (or the blanket that would not end)

6 years ago my husband asked me to marry him.  I started a blanket that was to be a wedding blanket for us.  It was to be a queen-sized bedspread.  In boucle yarn.

5 years 4 months and 2.5 weeks ago I married my husband.  The wedding blanket, which was not done, went into a bag.  And there it stayed.  Oh, I'd pull it out occasionally to crochet a row here and there, but the truth is, I hated it nearly as soon as I started it.  Boucle yarn makes me crazy and causes uncouth words to issue forth from my lips.

But, I have good friends who learned about the "wedding blanket" and they encouraged me to finish this project.

I crocheted the last row on it tonight and draped it over my husband.  He's pretty happy with it.  As you can see, it's not a bedspread.  It's only roughly 2/3 the intended finished length.  But it looks nice and it's symmetrical.  It is the perfect size to drape over the back of the futon and is the ideal size for curling up in while watching TV.  So after roughly 6.5 years in the making, I consider my wedding blanket done.

No comments:

Post a Comment