Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The blog post that's a follow-up...

...to the blog post I nearly didn't write.

You may have noticed I've been avoiding my blog just lately.  The truth is, life has had a rather limited scope that I haven't been able to talk about for the last few weeks.  Also, I've been rather unwell for the last 2.5 weeks.  If you'd just walked in on my life, you'd think I had the flu.  I don't. And I'm not contagious.

On January 12, my husband and I had our intake appointment at the fertility clinic.  We were interviewed and I was examined, then we were given a rather large folder of bloodwork requisitions (mostly for me), to begin on the 3rd day of my new cycle.  We went home and waited to start the tests. 

Only, my new cycle was delayed.  I waited and waited, and then that little sliver of hope showed up again.  I tried to squash it, but it got louder and louder, until I made H pick up a pregnancy test on his way home from work.  I had two expensive tests under the sink, but I didn't want to waste them on what I was fairly certain was going to be another negative test.  So we got a cheapy test from the dollarstore.  I took it first thing the following morning.  He wouldn't even get out of bed, and I realized then how much the negative tests affect him, too.

But ...

...this time it wasn't negative!  This time, a second pink line showed up.  It was faint, but then it got darker.  There were two lines on the test!!  TWO pink lines!! 

I might have accidentally jumped on poor H's head in the process of telling him.  I was definitely crying, it was so unexpected and wonderful!  The timing was pretty ironic.

I called the fertility clinic.  It had just been a week since our appointment, so I hardly knew what to do.  They had me come in the following morning for a blood test to check my hormone levels.  Then I went back two days later to make sure the pregnancy is, indeed, viable.  My pregnancy hormones had doubled nicely.

Then it was time for an ultrasound.  We saw, but of course couldn't hear yet, a little 6-week old heartbeat flickering at 110bpm. During all this, I had to keep quiet.  Every fiber of my being wanted to scream it from the rooftops!!  I'm finally pregnant!

We've slowly let our friends and family know.  Enough people know now that it can be considered general knowledge.

Yesterday, we went in for a second ultrasound.  It wasn't strictly necessary, but they offered and it doesn't cost anything, so of course I went in.  I am, as of today, 8 weeks and 2 days pregnant.  I'm measuring a bit ahead of that at 8 weeks 5 days.  The heartrate is an ecstatic 177bpm.

The best part?

The baby is due on my birthday!  I'll be 32 this year.  I know that babies don't usually come on their exact dues dates, but it will be within a few short days of it.  Happy Birthday, me!

Now, on to the knitting of booties and hats.


  1. Congratulations, you will be an amazing mother!!

  2. Oh, how wonderful! I wish you all the best, especially during these very first pregnancy months!

  3. So happy for you - you never know, he or she might be here on your birthday! ....and Alaina's birthday too! We might have 3 to celebrate on the same day in the future!!